Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lunch with Dos Batos!

First, let me start by saying that this blog is not meant to be a food blog- it just seems that way because I've recently been invited or had the opportunity to go to places I hadn't been before, and it seemed like a prime time to write about them with the new blog. :) There will be plenty of events I will be blogging about, so don't fret! South by Southwest is right around the corner! :)

Now that I've cleared that up, I had lunch at a new place today! Ha ha... 

The area that I work in is a pretty busy area, and there are a ton of restaurants to choose from. I remember seeing a place called Dos Batos right down the street from where I work a few months ago, and thought I needed to try it, but never actually did. Well, today I decided to change that!

Dos Batos prides itself on being "the first wood-fired tacos in Austin", so just seeing that, I was intrigued. I thought to myself, "I don't know that I've ever had a wood-fired taco before" ha ha... There's a first time for everything, and what better time than now, so on my way I went!

Dos Batos is located in a shopping center, so if you're not looking for it, you will miss it! I decided to leave a little before noon to beat the lunch crowd, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were only a few people there, and they were already eating! Lucky for me, I did not have to wait in line, and I was greeted by a smiling face ready to take my order!

The menu is fairly simple, and if you are looking for tons of selections, this is not the place for you. It does, however, cover the basics- steak, carnitas, fish, and veggie tacos and they come in Jr. or Large sizes. For my order today, I went with the Pirata taco- a wood-fire grilled steak taco stuffed with avocado and cheese. I actually ordered the combo which includes a drink, and a cup of charro bean soup. I decided to take my food to go, but still had to wait for my order to be made, so I had some time to look around.

The place isn't very big at all, but it's nice. The tables and chairs are all white, and look like something straight out of an IKEA catalog. By far, the most interesting thing I saw while I was waiting was the huge mural on the wall of two characters- one, a Pancho Villa type man- the other, a Japanese Samurai. What a weird combination, right? I thought so, too, then thought, "Keep Austin Weird". Man, I LOVE this city!

Finally, my order was ready- it really only took about 10 minutes, but I made useful of my time there by looking around. Obviously. :)

The smell of smoked wood filled my car, and I couldn't wait to get back to work and dig in!! Once I arrived, I opened my plate, and saw a very large taco, accompanied with my cup of charro beans,  tortilla chips, salsa, and of all things random, a fortune cookie! 

The food was still really warm since I'm just right down the road, and the taco was tightly wrapped in foil to keep the heat in. My Pirata taco was excellent! It was full of yummy, smoky flavor, seasoned just right, and the cheese and avocado added a warm, creamy taste that was perfection! I put some of the salsa on my taco, which was also served warm, and it added a spicy kick to an already great taco! The tortilla was grilled on the outside, so it had just the right amount of crisp and chewiness! The charro bean soup was fantastic, too! I already LOVE charro beans, but this soup had so much flavor due to the added bits of meat and salsa in it! I could  have eaten a bowl of this soup all by itself and been completely satisfied! The chips were nice and crunchy and perfectly salted! I don't usually spend 10 bucks on lunch, but for everything I got and the quality of the food- it was worth it! I may try the Ostin taco next which is just the Pirata, but with a mix of wood-fired vegetables. YUM!! 

Overall, I'd say I had a delicious lunch, and the only thing that could have made it better was to have some good company join me! This place is definitely dubbed an "Austin Original" in my book!! I hope you get a chance to check it out some time! 

Until next time, friends! 

Dos Batos
2525 W. Anderson Lane Suite 175
Austin, TX 78757
(512) 452-0001
http://www.dosbatos.com/home.php





 

No comments:

Post a Comment