Sunday, February 24, 2013

French Quarter Grille

In the spirit of Mardi Gras, (and also because my friend Bryan gave me a $25 gift certificate), my friend Laura and I decided to  try a Cajun restaurant called French Quarter Grille for dinner one night. I had heard about the place, and I had it on my list of places to check out, and when Bryan mentioned a $25 gift certificate, I was all in! 

We arrived to the restaurant around 8:30- greeted by a friendly face, and told that the wait was about 25 minutes. The place is much smaller than I thought it would be, and it's located in the most random places. It's located in a Wal-Mart shopping center! Apparently, that didn't matter because there were plenty of people eating, and many more waiting! 

We were finally seated at a table covered with a white linen table cloth- the chairs, solid black. The walls adorned Mardi Gras memorabilia and the restaurant had an overall New Orleans vibe! We were greeted by a waitress who immediately took our drink order and served us with some warm french bread rolls and garlic butter. When it was time to order, Laura and I both started with a house salad- I picked the jalapeno ranch dressing for mine, and Laura chose the house vinagerette- both made in house. 

Since the menu is focused on a cajun style meal, a lot of the selections included some type of seafood. I am not a big fan of seafood, but I thought I'd try a dish with maybe just a little taste of it. I ordered a dish called Chicken Oscar- a blackened chicken breast, topped with crab meat and served on top of a lemon cream butter sauce with asparagus spears. For the sides, spicy cabbage, and mashed potatoes. Since Laura isn't a big fan of seafood either, she went with the Grilled Chicken Pesto atop cheese tortellini.

Already super impressed with the freshness and deliciousness of the house salad (which, by the way, had shaved parmesean!), I couldn't wait for my meal to arrive! Once our meals arrived, I thought to myself, "this is way too pretty to eat", quickly took a picture of the presentation and then dug right in! ha ha! Chicken and crab seemed like an odd combination to me, but oddly enough, it worked very well together! The chicken was tender and juicy while the crab was creamy and fresh! The lemon butter sauce is what really brought all the flavors together. The mashed potatoes had a nice, spicy, cajun kick and were creamy, buttery, and melted in my mouth! The spicy cabbage and asparagus added a crunch to every bite! I didn't try Laura's meal, but hers looked just as good as mine (mine was better), and she said it was delicious! :)

Once we finished stuffing our faces, it was time for the check, and thanks to my friend Bryan, we had a $25 gift certificate we could use with the purchase of $45 or more- courtesy of Restaurant.com! Our whole bill- two salads, two drinks, and two entrees plus tax came out to about $47. I don't usually eat that expensive, but with the $25 gift certificate, we each ended up paying about $11 for our meals- tip not included, but still, a really great deal, I thought! The quality and freshness of the food was well worth it, and I would have paid full price for it, but glad that I didn't have to! :) 

French Quarter Grille definitely gets an A in my book- the service was great, the atmosphere was nice, and the food was fantastic! If you're like me and don't really eat at the higher priced places, I definitely recommend checking out Restaurant.com- they have some great deals on really good places around town! Until next time, friends! :)

French Quarter Grille
13000 N I-35, Bldg 2
Ste 600
Austin, Texas 78753
http://www.frenchquartergrilleaustin.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment