Monday, February 4, 2013

Castle Hill Graffiti and a little Tex-Mex...

Since my first blog entries last week, a few people have asked me to let them know what I do next so maybe they can tag along. As much as I didn't mind doing things solo last weekend, I figured it would probably be a lot more fun if someone came with me. So with that, I asked my friend Johanna to come along on my next venture. :)

Still reeling from the artistic dramatization of the Cirque du Soleil movie, I wanted to see more art, but this time, art around the city. Since I knew my friend had just started taking photography classes, I knew she would appreciate this particular venture.

I had read about Castle Hill Graffiti, also know as, Austin Graffiti Park, Castle Hill, Graffiti on Baylor...you get the picture, it's known by many different names. Anyway, we started our morning around noon this past Saturday, and it was the most perfect day- EVER!! It wasn't too hot, and it wasn't cold by any means, and the sun was shining beautifully down on us!

I had an address for the place, but didn't exactly know where it was located, so I relied on the GPS on my cell to get us where we were going! I'm glad I did too because I would have never found the place without it! The "park" is located on a tiny street in between two big streets, and it's almost like it's on a hill, hence the name, Castle Hill Graffiti.

When we arrived there were not very many people there, and even though the place is around the downtown area, you would never have guessed it because it was so serene. It was really peaceful, and the people that were there, were doing the same as my friend and I- taking it all in. Every wall was something different, something creative, something colorful and completely AUSTIN. While most of it made no sense to me, I couldn't help but wonder what the artists' inspiration was at the time he or she created it.

I learned that the walls change often, and artists' have to get permission to paint over a space- a way to be "heard", but still respect others' work. I don't know if there is a time limit on how long art can stay up, but I think it's really  neat that graffiti artists' can share their work in a common area where no one gets in trouble.  I wonder if what we saw this weekend will still be there next weekend. Probably not, but that's the beauty of it!!

I took a few pictures with my phone, but my friend had her very professional camera, as most others there, so she went and took quite a few more pics than I. While she did that, I stood in awe of all of the colors, words, and "tags" on the walls. We even saw a couple of artists working on a wall, and as much as I wanted to have a chat with them, I decided against it because I didn't want to mess with their creative flow. :)

More people started to arrive while we were there, so we took a few more pictures, and decided we'd get out of the way and let the others enjoy the wall, just as we did.

After leaving Castle Hill Graffiti, we decided to go grab a bite to eat at a little Tex-Mex place called Santa Rita Tex-Mex Cantina. I had been to Santa Rita many times before, but decided I'd go because I was craving some yummy chips and salsa, and they have the BEST! I used to frequent the place because my last job is located right across the street, but I hadn't been in such a long time because I am hardly on that side of town anymore. Saturday seemed like the perfect day to revisit for a nice lunch!

I ordered the Santa Rita plate, which is one chicken taco and one chicken enchilada with rice and beans.My friend ordered the Tacos al Pastor, which are always a great choice! I've always liked Santa Rita, not only for the food, but because they have some really authentic, very Austin-like decor around the restaurant. For example, probably the most peculiar thing in the place is an entire wall covered with wooden shoes. While I don't really understand the significance behind the wall of wooden shoes, I can appreciate it. If nothing else, it really makes the restaurant a memorable one! :)

After lunch, I had other plans with other friends, so we decided to head home for the day.

It's really nice taking a few hours out of the day to just go out and explore, and I'm really glad that I started this project because I'm loving it, and the places/ things it's making me see and do.  Below are the addresses for both the graffiti park and Santa Rita. Oh, and few pics to go along with them! Until next time, friends!

Castle Hill Graffiti                                                             Santa Rita Tex-Mex Cantina
1100 Baylor St.                                                                1206 W. 38th St.
Austin, TX 78701                                                             Austin, TX 78756













No comments:

Post a Comment